What I’ve Learnt So Far: My top tips for working at Social Progress
So I’m just coming to the end of my 2nd month as the ‘SoPro Newbie’ and have been asked to write a blog about my experiences so far, so here it is:
- I know more than I think I do (and more people!) and having qualified as a broadcast journalist, worked in TV, been a business & marketing consultant, run 2 businesses (one limited company and one social enterprise) – I’ve picked up a lot of useful knowledge and skills along the way, that can come in really handy.
- My new blue Doc Martens are a ‘talking point’ and luckily ‘on brand’ when there SoPro blue!
- I enjoy a challenge
- I find it exciting when something works and I get a win for a client – even if it’s just a new interaction on social media
- As an early adopter of all things blogging, digital marketing and social media (as part of my role as Marketing Director of an online accounting software company), I had to learnt on the job & teach myself about Twitter, WordPress, Facebook, SEO, keywords, hashtags etc, but what I learnt then still applies now. Above all, social media marketing is a great tool for any business.
- But, however much you think you know about social media, there’s always more to learn, and some new app, widget or functionality that’s just appeared.
- Don’t press on a new widget unless you know what it does!
- A ‘Boomerang’ isn’t just something from Australia that keeps coming back…
- You have to be able to hit the ground running and schedule your time carefully to fit everything in
- I will be expected to dance, mime film & TV programmes, pose with an umbrella, show my socks & walk across a busy road in the style of The Beatles crossing Abbey Road, on my second day.
- Taking pictures of cakes, menus, flowers (and tweeting about it) is actually ‘work’.
- You can see the world go by from the SoPro offices (literally!)
- Hashtags and emoji cushions are appropriate office accessories
- Cheese and networking go together
- Everything can be described in terms of cake (and/or cheese)
- You have to like blue and yellow (and it’s a good idea to have at least one outfit that’s ‘on brand’ – see Doc Martens above)
- There’s always fresh coffee in the pot
- The SoPro car park is challenging!
- Rebecca is fond of cheesy cheese-based (and other food-related) jokes
- She types incredibly fast!
- Janet doesn’t like pink (but loves festivals & music)
- Everyone loves a pork pie except me
- I’m older than Rebecca, but younger than Janet, and unfortunately am old enough to be Georgia’s mum!
- Rebecca has earrings for every occasion (including Twitter ones!)
Social Progress is a great fun place to work and I’ve been made to feel part of the team and welcomed with open arms!!!
Written by SoPro Lisa